DOM Level 1 Proposed Recommendation

Frank Boumphrey bckman at ix.netcom.com
Wed Aug 19 06:00:12 BST 1998

Don wrote:

>What a great day, eh?  <g>

Well, I'll call it a bitter-sweet day.

The DOM proposal exceeds my expectations, on first read I think it's great!

The XSL proposal (on first, second, and third read!) is rather
disappointing, but perhaps it will grow on me.

Whereas I see the DOM  being rapidly implemented, I can't say the same thing
about the XSL spec. I really don't see that many people will use it in
preference to CSS or DSSSL. It's transformation functions can be done just
as well with PERL. (and perhaps PERL is easier to learn!)

I hope I'm wrong!

I wonder how many books on XSL will be on the shelves 6 months from now!
Will Joe Hacker want to learn it? Or will he invest his energies else where!

Possibly if a simple implementation like MSXSL.EXE is quickly forthcoming
(and I havn't looked at James Clarke's app. yet
 http://www.jclark.com/xml/xt.html ) it will take off.

Time will tell.

On the bright side I predict a rapid implementation of the DOM. I know that
I am going to start writing about it tomorrow!

Frank

Frank Boumphrey

XML and style sheet info at Http://www.hypermedic.com/style/index.htm