XML- Data Schema

Peter Murray-Rust peter at ursus.demon.co.uk
Fri Aug 28 23:58:57 BST 1998

At 14:32 28/08/98 +0530, Usha_R2 at verifone.com wrote:

>I want more validation to be built into my system. I want to even check
>the data type of the content in the XML file.
>
>for example :
>
><size> 8 <size>
>
>i.e when I parse it, the parser should give me an error if I have any
>thing other than an integer for size. I came to know that using XML-Data
>schemas we can specify data types. I have absolutely no idea as to how
>to write these schemas and where to put them in the document. Can
>anybody please help as to how to go about it and can I still use MSXML
>parser for validating my XML files.

I think we are a few months away from having schemata that will be
universally interoperable - if you are an early adopter I am sure that the
XSchema groups will be thinking of how to extend the functionality.

If you are validating particular types of data then the routines I have
written for JUMBO2 may fit the bill. An element (Node) has routines such as
isCorrectFormat() and isValid() which are no-ops for a generic element but
can be subclassed. So I have a FloatNode class which can have max and min
values and when these are reached the entry field goes red. The main
purpose is to extend it to more complex things like molecules and graphs,
so don't look for shrink-wrapped quality. However I expect this will be
commonplace in many tools fairly soon.

	P.

net connection
http://www.venus.co.uk/vhg