XML Namespace

Marcus Carr mrc at allette.com.au
Mon Aug 31 00:56:20 BST 1998

John Cowan wrote:

> Learn to relax and live without DTDs.  The new namespace proposal
> makes them useless anyway, so people are now trying to develop
> various replacements for them.

Although DTDs can be replaced at some stages of the data lifecycle, I don't
believe that they'll ever be completely replaced unless they're written out of
the standard - a move that many would see as extraordinary. The authoring of
documents is still likely to remain somewhat independent from the eventual usage
- for this task, a DTD may be just as useful as a schema. Also, in the short-term
absense of high-end XML tools, applications like FrameMaker+XML (or whatever they
call it) will be held up as shining examples, not forced into immediate redesign.
The recent nervousness over when browsers will be delivered leads me to believe
that the XML community isn't cocky enough to start killing it's babies yet.

--
Regards,

Marcus Carr                 email:  mrc at allette.com.au
Allette Systems (Australia) email:  info at allette.com.au
Level 10, 91 York Street    www:    http://www.allette.com.au
Sydney 2000 NSW Australia   phone:  +61 2 9262 4777
                            fax:    +61 2 9262 4774