<!ENTITY amp "&38;">

Richard Tobin richard at cogsci.ed.ac.uk
Tue Dec 1 17:30:08 GMT 1998

> I was looking at the Shakespeare samples (shakespeare.1.10.xml) on
> http://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/sun-info/xml/eg/ and noticed that the file
> play.dtd contains the tag <!ENTITY amp "&#38;">

This is not entirely surprising, since that file is dated 31 Jan 98,
and the XML draft current at that time specified the declaration above!

IE 5 appears to be within its rights not to detect the error (in the
declaration, not the use, of the entity).  Section 4.6 says that amp
"must" be declared as "&#38;#38;", and violation of "must" is an "error"
which "may" be detected.

-- Richard

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)