Default Namespace should be clearly documented ...

Bryan Cooper bryan.cooper at veritas.com
Thu Dec 3 08:55:54 GMT 1998

Thanx for the tip.  But then how do we tell the parser that we want it to
switch into
a default namespace at the start and another at the end of the ENTITY?

If that is another way to set the default, GREAT, but
I just would like to see that in the spec 'cause it is obtuse enough as it is.

I suspect however that there is no way to have a PI at the beginning of the
ENTITY....everything else encapsulated by the ENTITY....and another PI only
at the end of the ENTITY.    And what is the proper PI to xml to change
default namespace?

Effectively:

<NAMESPACE xmlns='blap'>
<!---Command defined to send a <?xml?> PI of some sort to save current
default and change to different default--->
....other stufff
</NAMESPACE>
<!--- sends a second <?xml?> PI of some sort to RESTORE the previous
default that was saved-->

So how do I force the second <?xml?> to occur only after the rest of the
stuff is parsed?

That to me is what would make NAMESPACE stuff work bery bery good for me...
Its a stack approach to namespace that I don't see in the spec. Yes?
I really think there's a huge opportunity here with NAMESPACE to
interact contextually with the parser.  Stacks is one feature missing from
XML.
EVENTS is another missing function.

At 02:14 PM 12/2/98 -0500, John Cowan wrote:
>Bryan Cooper wrote:
>
>> That is, can we declare an ENTITY that contains a PI?
>
>Sure, why not?  A parsed entity can have anything that matches
>the Content[43] rule (after entity references have been expanded,
>in the case of an internal parsed entity), and Content[43]
>allows elements, character data, references, CDATA sections,
>PIs, and comments.
>
>--
>John Cowan	http://www.ccil.org/~cowan		cowan at ccil.org
>	You tollerday donsk?  N.  You tolkatiff scowegian?  Nn.
>	You spigotty anglease?  Nnn.  You phonio saxo?  Nnnn.
>		Clear all so!  'Tis a Jute.... (Finnegans Wake 16.5)
>
>xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers. To post, mailto:xml-dev at ic.ac.uk
>Archived as: http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/
>To (un)subscribe, mailto:majordomo at ic.ac.uk the following message;
>(un)subscribe xml-dev
>To subscribe to the digests, mailto:majordomo at ic.ac.uk the following message;
>subscribe xml-dev-digest
>List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)

...bryan

F. Bryan Cooper	 		707 823 7324
VERITAS Software      		707 321 3301 mobile
Bryan.Cooper at veritas.com

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)