Storing XML/Streaming HTML

Michael Kay M.H.Kay at eng.icl.co.uk
Fri Dec 4 15:48:58 GMT 1998

> I'm helping a company ... make their policies and procedures manual
> available as an online reference. I am thinking that it makes
> sense to mark
> it up as XML: it is 1000 pages and contains lots of chapters and
> subheadings. Anyway, the question is, have people gone this route yet, of
> marking up some text in XML and then streaming it to the client
> (browser) as HTML?

Author it in XML definitely. What I would do with it then, given that this
is a static manual, is to generate HTML at publication time and store the
generated HTML on the server in the normal way. That's heresy to many on
this list, but to my mind it gives the best performance and the least system
complexity. Of course if you're planning a fancy interactive experience for
your readers the answer might be different.

Mike Kay

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)