Storing XML/Streaming HTML

Amit Rekhi amitr at abinfosys.com
Sat Dec 5 09:31:30 GMT 1998

Rob,

>Anyway, the question is, have people gone this route yet, of
>marking up some text in XML and then streaming it to the client (browser)
as
>HTML?

Yes. I am trying my hand at something similar. In the approach I am thinking
of
I am planning to use my own app. (on the client) which will be responsible
for trapping the XML (a DOM tree actually) and outputting
HTML to be given to the browser.
The approach is as follows :-
(If would be grateful if someone could comment on this)

1) Convert the served XML stream to a XML DOM object tree.
(using a DOM XML parser on the client)

2) Passing the XML DOM tree to my client app.
This app. will incorporate a DOM (XML + HTML)implementation

3) This app. will construct an HTML DOM tree using the XML DOM tree
passed to it and the DOM implementation it incorporates.

4) The HTML DOM tree will be given to the browser for rendering

My reasons for using this approach are

1) Using this method I don't need to predefine my HTML
and store it on the server for every XML file I wish to serve.

2) Since the entire HTML data being rendered on the browser
is already stored in an HTML DOM object tree before it is rendered , any
search/query/retrieval facility which is trigerred from the browser by a
user
(from the HTML rendered) will have a proper structure
 (the HTML DOM tree) to query for results.

AMIT

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)