Varying the attlist for an element depending on the element's parent

james anderson James.Anderson at mecomnet.de
Sun Dec 6 15:34:41 GMT 1998

i note that the xml-names-19980916 draft leave some room for hope that this
might become possible.

presume, for the sake of argument, that the standard eventually attends to
prefix/namespace bindings within the dtd.

in that event, the clause on "The Per-Element-Type Partitions" in appendix A.2
describes the distinct names which could identify such attributes:

"Each type in the All Element Types Partition has an associated namespace in
which appear the names of the unqualified attributes that are provided for
that element. This is a traditional namespace because the appearance of
duplicate attribute names on an element is forbidden by XML 1.0. The
combination of the attribute name with the element's type and namespace name
uniquely identifies each unqualified attribute."

it would remain only to establish namespace scoping rules for an ATTLIST form
similar to those for the element instances in order to to be able to
differentiate identity among the encoded attribute names.

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)