Notations

W. Eliot Kimber eliot at dns.isogen.com
Mon Dec 7 15:58:22 GMT 1998

At 10:25 AM 12/7/98 -0500, Charles Reitzel wrote:

>attribute name and value as descriptive of the element.  According to Eliot
>K., some variant of SGML allows notations to be associated with attributes.

In TC2 to ISO 8879 (the Web SGML Adaptations, see
<http://www.ornl.gov/sgml/wg8/document/1955.htm>) we added a new attribute
value type, "DATA", that lets you associate a notation name with an
attribute in order to define the rules that govern the interpretation of
the attribute value. The syntax is:

<!ATTLIST foo
  OrderTime
     DATA Iso8601_DateTime
     #REQUIRED

Where "Iso8601_DateTime" is the name of a declaration notation. For element
content, using NOTATION attribute is sufficient (and part of the existing
SGML and XML specifications:

<!ATTLIST OrderTime
  notation
    NOTATION
    (Iso8601_DateTime) Iso8601_DateTime

However, I agree that being able to say this on the element type
declaration directly would be convenient.  We didn't consider this for the
TC because it would be too much of a change to the existing syntax.

Cheers,

E.

--
<Address HyTime=bibloc>
W. Eliot Kimber, Senior Consulting SGML Engineer

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)