MIME namespace...

Gabe Beged-Dov begeddov at jfinity.com
Wed Dec 9 01:23:49 GMT 1998

There are at least two schools of thought on the list vis-a-vis type
identification of unparsed thingies (thingies is my placeholder for binary
entities and links). The SGML school points to the rich infrastructure based
on notations while the WWW school points to MIME. I tend to be in the WWW
school.

Anyway, in order to foster more discussion on the MIME front, I would like
to suggest the idea of having a MIME namespace. BTW, I have not investigated
this but am throwing it out in a mostly yeasty state for group baking.

An example usage (with made up URLs) would be:

<PICTURE
        xmlns:mime="http://www.ietf.org/rfc2045"
        mime:content-type="image/jpeg"
        href="ftp://ftp.pictures.com/pretty.jpg">
Its a pretty picture
</PICTURE>

I am assuming that links would be treated similarily to the
"message/external-body" element in MIME. The MIME rfc can be found at:
http://info.internet.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc/files/rfc2045.txt

 If this approach (or something similar) is viable, the question becomes
what needs to happen to make this work?

Gabe Beged-Dov
www.jfinity.com

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)