Notations

Paul Prescod paul at prescod.net
Sat Dec 12 21:55:42 GMT 1998

Charles Reitzel wrote:

> I'd guess this is why the PUBLIC id is required while the SYSTEM id is
> optional for NOTATIONs.  The path to the handler probably belongs in a
> system dependent application config file, not the DTD.  Much like how web
> servers use config files to look up MIME handlers.

You are so right. In fact, the handler probably belongs in an *application
AND system dependent config file*. The handler need to display an MPEG is
different from the one needed to edit which is different from the one
needed to build a GroveMinder compatible grove for it which is different
from the one needed to build a Jade compatible grove!

It really makes no sense to put a system identifier for a notation in an
XML document unless you only intend that document to be used in one system
(and don't intend to change your mind!) (and don't intend to change your
mind about changing your mind!).

 http://itrc.uwaterloo.ca/~papresco

"Sports utility vehicles are gated communities on wheels" - Anon

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)