DTD-to-DB SCHEMA

Matthew Sergeant (EML) Matthew.Sergeant at eml.ericsson.se
Wed Dec 16 09:25:39 GMT 1998

	It depends how complex you want to go. There are a few options
available to you. A couple of the simpler ones are WDDX, which can
describe a recordset (which you could use as a table), and RDB, which
describes tables from relational databases.

	Personally I don't like WDDX's representation of a recordset
because it's by-column, instead of by-row, so in order to get at a
particular row you have to parse the entire file. RDB is by-row, but
it's a little more verbose because of this and doesn't support data
typing.

	I have a simple perl module that creates RDB XML from a DBI data
source if you're interested, it's on CPAN called DBIx::XML_RDB, and
contains a utility for dumping complete tables to XML.

	http://www.allaire.com/developer/wddx
	http://www.w3.org/XML/RDB

	Matt.

	http://come.to/fastnet