xml diff?

Liam R. E. Quin liamquin at interlog.com
Tue Dec 22 08:26:35 GMT 1998

There is a really "dumb" but sometimes useful approach at the
purely text level.

You can use Unix diff more or less as follows:
(1) turn newline into control-A newline (say)
(2) turn space outside tags into space newline
(3) insert newline before and after each tag
(4) format tags so they atr
     <gi
	att1="value1"
	att2="value2"
	.
	.

(5) use Unix diff on the two processed files
(6) reverse the processing before presenting the diffs to the user.

I've seen shell scripts to do this floating around.
Heck, I think I might even have written one :-)

There are plenty of papers on tree differences, and I think
others have already mnentioned some. Eila Kuikka did a thesis
on processing structured documents using a syntax-directed approach
(Kuopio 1996) that may be useful, too, as one starting point for
investigating the theory.

Lee

--
Liam Quin, GroveWare Inc., Toronto;  The barefoot programmer
l i a m q u i n     at    i n t e r l o g    dot   c o m

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)