ANNOUNCE: sgrep-1.91a - SGML and XML search and indexing tool

Jani Jaakkola jjaakkol at cs.Helsinki.FI
Tue Dec 22 14:37:57 GMT 1998

Sgrep-1.91a has been made available in source and binary forms.  Binaries are
available for Win32, HP-UX, Linux, OSF1 and Solaris platforms.

Sgrep is a tool to search and index text, SGML, XML and HTML files using
structured patterns.

New features in version 1.91a include:
- Nearness operators for both ordered and unordered nearness.
- Support for 16-bit wide query terms (this really means, that Sgrep
  now supports Unicode)
- Support for UTF-16 and UTF-8 encodings
- 'parenting' operator is now an order of magnitude faster (in the common
  case)
- Sgrep now emits and parses #line-directives, which allows for more
  accurate error reporting
- An option to query terms from index files
- Many bug fixes
- Introduces some new bugs (hopefully not as many as I fixed).

With version 1.91 I have actually implemented all the new features I ever
planned to have in Sgrep-2. There are still things to do, but they are
mostly small enchantments compared to the work required for introducing
Unicode support to Sgrep. So now I am waiting for your suggestions, while
I am updating the documentation. Should I:

- Add support for using Sgrep from Perl scripts?
- Create examples of how to use Sgrep as a local search engine for
  WWW-servers?
- Make Sgrep fully XML-comformant? (With Unicode support this is now
  possible)
- Something else?
- Forget Sgrep, because it isn't really useful?

For more information about sgrep:
http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/~jjaakkol/sgrep.html

For a more complete description of the new features see the file README
in sgrep distribution or at:
http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/~jjaakkol/sgrep/README.txt

For downloading sgrep use:
http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/~jjaakkol/sgrep/downloading.html