problems with emacs xml-mode

Dave Carlson dcarlson at ontogenics.com
Sun Feb 1 02:16:05 GMT 1998

At 05:57 PM 1/31/98 -0500, David Megginson wrote:

> > 2.  The DTD is parsed, but all element names are folded into all lower case.
> > Does the current version of xml-mode support mixed-case element names?  If
> > so, what am I doing wrong?
>
>Are you certain that you're using the latest version of the patches
>(from Fall 1997) and that you're actually in XML rather than SGML
>mode?  Does it read 'XML' or 'SGML' in the mode bar at the bottom?

I'm using the xml-mode that I downloaded from your site in December 1997.
And, yes, it does read 'XML' in the mode bar.  I'll try some additional
testing to see if I can narrow down the problem.  Is there some other test I
can run to be sure I've got the entire xml- mode installed properly?  I had
to do some manual hacking to install on WinNT, maybe I messed up somewhere.

I've never gotten it to work correctly, but sometimes I get the top-level
element names in mixed case, and the content model all folded to lower case.
So, I can add mixed case elements at the top level, but there are no "valid"
sub-elements because the content model has all tags in lower case.  In
another test, everything was lower case.

> > 4.  Font highlighting has some problems.  I've configuring my _emacs file
> > according to earlier posts in this list, but the text  highlighing only
> > appears after I've used the context menu to insert a new tag.  Then, the
> > text is only highlighted from that point *backward* in the document.  When I
> > first load a document, no text is highlighted.
>
>Again, this is not directly related to the XML patches.  PSGML will
>highlight only the parts of the document that it has already parsed.
>In Unix, at least, it will eventually parse ahead and highlight the
>whole thing.

Yes, it will eventually highlight the entire document, once I've made an
addition to the end of the document.

Thanks for you help, and your contribution!

Dave

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)