Namespaces, modules and architectures paper available

Paul Prescod papresco at technologist.com
Wed Feb 4 14:36:48 GMT 1998

I appreciate the simplicity of this [1]proposal, but want to check that
it is not too simple to get the job done.

How would you pass information into a module with this proposal? For
instance, I might want to include a table model, but might need to
specify the contents of the table's cell elements from the containing
DTD.

Also, it feels "nicer" to me to have the instance structure control
namespace lookup so that when I am in a MATH::FORMULA element, I can use
elements from the MATH module without qualification. This convention
could remove most or all qualification from a document instance and thus
make things simpler for authors. For instance:

<!DOCTYPE ...[
<!ENTITY math SYSTEM "math.mod" MODULE>%math;
]>
<INTEGRAL/> <!-- a really important part -->
<MATH> <!-- not ambiguous at this scope -->
<INTEGRAL/> <!-- a mathematical integral -->
</MATH>

I would like it if the containing element would control namescope
choice.

 Paul Prescod
--
http://itrc.uwaterloo.ca/~papresco