Foreign object inclusion WAS: Namespaces, Architectural Forms, and Sub-Documents

Rick Jelliffe ricko at allette.com.au
Fri Feb 6 12:58:49 GMT 1998

> From: Don Park <donpark at quake.net>

> As far as I can see there are two problems:
>
> 1. Embedding Binary Data inside XML document
>
> This problem is solved with BASE64.  I wish we can specify it in the DTD but
> its workable now.

You can. For example

<!NOTATION base64 SYSTEM "http://www.somewhere.com/base64-decoder.applet">
<!ELEMENT BINARY ( #PCDATA )>
<!ATTLIST BINARY
	encoding NOTATION ( base64 ) "base64" >
<BINARY>...</BINARY>

An element can have one NOTATION attribute, which specifies how to interpret
the element's data. Often this is used to restrict possible notations to
lists of types, for example

<!ATTLIST figure
	type NOTATION ( gif | epsi | cgm | jpeg ) #REQUIRED >

Developers of generic XML tools should make sure that their systems
provide ways to interpret NOTATION attributes appropriately: it is
a mechnism like MIME media-types, but may be on a finer grain. It is
not a mechanism for multi-part documents (unless the DTD is a DTD
for representing multipart documents of course) because the notation
processor (which the SYSTEM identifier on the NOTATION declaration
would identify) runs after the XML processor.

Rick Jelliffe

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)