Last minute request for BASE64 section support in XML 1.0

Don Park donpark at quake.net
Sat Feb 7 02:30:56 GMT 1998

It looks like XML is about to be approved as standard by W3C.  Could we
please have BASE64 sections as a part of XML standard 1.0?  Everyone who
support this idea, please reply to this message (short replies please to
avoid LISTRIVIA).

[to be inserted somewhere between 2.7 and 2.8 of XML spec]

Using BASE64 sections

<![BASE64[
R0lGODlhdQAgAPcAAP//////zP//mf//Zv//M///AP/M///MzP/Mmf/MZv/MM//MAP+Z//+Z
zP+Zmf+ZZv+ZM/+ZAP9m//9mzP9mmf9mZv9mM/9mAP8z//8zzP8zmf8zZv8zM/8zAP8A//8A
]]>

I am not sure if conflicts badly with SGML but, if not, it could be
immensely helpful for developers.

Regarding SAX, we could have a callback for binary data similar to the
characters() callback.  As far as W3C DOM is concerned, we will need a
another Node type (BINARY).

Sincerely,

Don Park
http://www.quake.net/~donpark/index.html