Last minute request for BASE64 section support in XML 1.0

Tim Bray tbray at textuality.com
Sat Feb 7 15:34:17 GMT 1998

At 12:11 AM 07/02/98 -0800, Don Park wrote:
>Could you please elaborate on why there is no chance of BASE64 section
>proposal being accepted?

Simply put, we create standards following a set of formal rules, which is
strictly necessary if you are to have any hope of getting Netscape, Micrsoft,
Sun, et al, to go into a room and come out with a real result.  The rules
do not, at this point in time, leave room for the introduction of major
new features.

Having said that, I think that it would be a good idea for someone to
write up a proposal for the use of a reserved attribute or namespace to
signal, as a convention in XML 1.0, that the contents of an element are
base64 encoded.  This could be destined for XML 1.1 or perhaps serve
as a standalone recommendation layered on top of XML.

Nobody disputes that there is a real need in this area. -Tim

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)