file URLs again

David Megginson ak117 at freenet.carleton.ca
Sun Feb 8 12:38:59 GMT 1998

Tim Bray writes:

 > Hi, I've been getting a bit behind... did this group in its
 > collective wisdom come up with a snippet of Java that makes
 > a really good and sincere effort to open a URL that looks
 > like "spec.dtd" and works reliably on MS & other OS's, with
 > more than one JVM?  I seem to recall seeing one go by, but
 > can't find it. -Tim

This one's from the latest SAXDemo.java, incorporating modifications
suggested by James Clark:

  /**
    * If a URL is relative, make it absolute against the current directory.
    */
  private static String makeAbsoluteURL (String url)
    throws java.net.MalformedURLException
  {
    URL baseURL;

    String currentDirectory = System.getProperty("user.dir");
    String fileSep = System.getProperty("file.separator");
    String file = currentDirectory.replace(fileSep.charAt(0), '/') + '/';

    if (file.charAt(0) != '/') {
      file = "/" + file;
    }
    baseURL = new URL("file", null, file);

    return new URL(baseURL, url).toString();
  }

All the best,

David

David Megginson                 ak117 at freenet.carleton.ca