Is anyone using CDATA?

Parik Rao parikr at pointcast.com
Fri Feb 20 04:22:08 GMT 1998

Anyone have experiences with CDATA ?  We're interested in inserting
non-XML markup and BLOBs into XML files, and the best way seems to be
CDATA.  However, some of the parsers I've been playing around with
(Microsoft, XMLint) don't support the CDATA element.  Is CDATA handling
required for a validating parser?

For non-XML markup (HTML markup), I could escape the markup and insert
it under my own elements, but that requires extra processing and makes
documents larger.  For BLOBs, obviously pointers to the data rather than
embedded could be done.  But its can be useful to package all required
data into a single file sometimes.

Interested in how others are dealing with the situation...

--
Parik Rao
parikr at pointcast.com
PointCast, Inc.