TagNet (was Automating Search Interfaces)

Don Park donpark at quake.net
Fri Feb 20 22:39:36 GMT 1998

Matthew,

>One approach that really appeals to me is based on a two-pronged effort to
>create standard tags *and* standard DTDs, and relies on the fact that there
>is really a working mechanism for extending DTDs through inheritance (which
>I guess is still not entirely the case).

I think the efforts will be best spent by building a sort of WordNet like
service which allow automatic registration and association of tag and
attribute names.  For example, book vendor could register TITLE as a tag
name and associate it with NAME as a synonym constrained by the book
industry code (if there is such a thing).  Search service can then see that
the contents offered by the book vendor can be searched by mapping its NAME
field to TITLE tag.  Inheritance relationship can also be registered and
taken advantage of by search services.

It probably won't have to be a full semantic network but it will require a
standard API.  I wish it could capture whole/part relationships as well like
(NAME == FIRST + MIDDLE + LAST) but I could be going overboard here.  Some
of the entries can be marked as the 'norm' by some standardization
organizations.  A DTD writer could just build what he wants and then pass it
through the service to change all names to the 'norm'.

For the benefit of those replying to this message, let me call the service
TagNet.

"What do you want to tag today?;-)"

Feeling great today,

Don Park