Binary Data

Tim Bray tbray at textuality.com
Mon Feb 23 00:50:34 GMT 1998

At 12:59 PM 2/22/98 -0800, Don Park wrote:
>BASE64 is MIME content tranfer encoding algorithm defined in RFC 2045.  It
>is used to map binary data into a range of characters.

What's real important from the XML point of view is that (unless my
memory fails me) base64 has the nice property that it uses a very
restricted range of characters, which happens not to include < or &,
and thus can be tossed into an XML doc just about anywhere without
breaking anything.  I think a predefined base64 notation attribute
is a no-brainer good idea, so obvious that it can't be new.  -Tim

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)