SAX: finalising org.sax.xml.Parser

David Megginson ak117 at freenet.carleton.ca
Tue Feb 24 19:11:29 GMT 1998

Juergen Modre writes:

 > > In an ideal world, we'd also have some kind of ability to ask to
 > > parser to turn validation on or off, but I'm not certain that that's
 > > practical: any thoughts?
 > I thinks that is practical and necessary.
 >
 > One solution would be to have methods like:
 >  void setValidation(boolean validation)
 >  boolean getValidation()
 >
 > These methods can be called before starting to parse with
 > the parse() method.

It's trickier than this -- for example, we'd probably have to create
an exception that is thrown if the underlying parser does not support
validation; furthermore, none of the parsers that I've looked at
supports a toggle like this, and we will be forcing another design
decision on them if we require this toggle.

 > I also think a parse method with an systemId only as parameter would be
 > convenient. (With targeting to users rather new to XML
 > and not very used to the publicId's).
 >
 > public abstract void parse (String systemId)
 >
 > This would also avoid the need to call every time
 > entityHandler.resolveEntity() to resolve the Entity.

It might be simpler, though I'm trying to keep the number of methods
to a minimum.  It wouldn't affect EntityHandler.resolveEntity(),
though, since that does not exist solely for the sake of handling
public identifiers.

Thanks, and all the best,

David

David Megginson                 ak117 at freenet.carleton.ca