SAX: towards a solution

David Megginson ak117 at freenet.carleton.ca
Sat Jan 3 15:34:47 GMT 1998

Peter Murray-Rust writes:

 > I have written this at length because I would like to see if XML-DEV could
 > "borrow" some of this process. [There are of course many differences - the
 > membership of XML-DEV is self-selecting (but still of very great technical
 > quality and list discipline). Of course there is a lot of overlap with the
 > SIG and WG.]. In the current situation I'd suggest that - if they can -
 > DavidM and TimB (no more) form a mini-WG and act as DavidM has suggested.
 > If this is too difficult (and of course *I* can't pay their phone bills),
 > then DavidM should do this unilaterally.

I cannot speak for Tim, but I would guess that he's probably busy
enough with the main WG that he wouldn't want to spend any more time
on the phone.  I think that SAX is a small enough topic that we should
be able to manage it through our existing channels of communication;
of course, the opinions of the parser writers (Tim, Norbert, Chris,
me, and any others) will carry proportionally heavier weight, as will
the opinons of potential SAX implementors (such as Peter), and all
opinions count.  I will collect opinions, then will construct a trial
SAX and try to get acceptance.

 > I have found this very useful with AElfred. Does this have implications for
 > other languages (e.g. tcl is not OO - at least not when I used to use it.)?
 >
 > [...]

There is an OO add-on to Tcl, called something like iTcl (it's been a
while); in any case, I'd like to keep SAX as an object-oriented API.

All the best,

David

David Megginson                 ak117 at freenet.carleton.ca
Microstar Software Ltd.         dmeggins at microstar.com