SAX: External Entity Resolution (question 3 of 10)

Paul Prescod papresco at technologist.com
Sun Jan 4 02:15:36 GMT 1998

David Megginson wrote:
> - could be implemented in XmlAppBase, so that most users could simply
>   ignore it (the default implementation would always return the
>   systemID argument unmodified);

For those that don't have an XmlAppBase, the "noop" operation in this
case would be:

public String resolveEntity (String ename, String publicID, String
systemID){
	return systemID;
}

Of course this default behaviour cannot be specified in CORBA, but it
can be specified in the SAX documentation, so I don't think that it is a
big deal.

> The problem is that most parsers don't support this functionality
> right now, so we could not simply implement a new SAX front-end on top
> of the parser's existing API.  On the other hand, we could make
> support for this optional, and add an entityResolutionSupported()
> boolean call to the XmlParser interface (see question 9, to be posted
> later).

I think that we should just require support for it. It really is
massively useful and trivial to implement.

One comment: the parser should turn relative system identifiers into
absolute ones before calling this method. The parser has information
about the location of the "current" entity (parameter entity!) that the
SAX application will not (since SAX provides no DTD information).

 Paul Prescod
--
http://itrc.uwaterloo.ca/~papresco

Art is always at peril in universities, where there are so many people,
young and old, who love art less than argument, and dote upon a text
that provides the nutritious pemmican on which scholars love to chew.
				-- Robertson Davies in "The Cunning Man"

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)