SAX: Document Start and End (question 1 of 10)

Peter Murray-Rust peter at ursus.demon.co.uk
Sun Jan 4 19:09:19 GMT 1998

At 13:37 04/01/98 -0500, David Megginson wrote:
>Tim Bray writes:
>
> > Agreed.  Could we change the first method to
> > startDocument(String root, String DTDSysID, String DTDPubID)
> > these obviously each being null in the event the document doesn't
> > provide them? -Tim
>
>This is a great idea, but it will require an implementation to queue
>events.  For example, if I have
>
>  <?foo bar?>
>  <!DOCTYPE doc SYSTEM "doc.dtd">
>
>I have to queue the PI event(s) until I have found the DOCTYPE, so
>that I will know the root element type and the URI of the external
>DTD.  If this information is important (and others have argued that it
>is), then a separate docType() event would probably be appropriate.

I have (sort of) run into this problem in JUMBO. Since I do not (yet) know
how any PI is going to be used (or what additional PIs or PI-like syntax
the WG will put forward) I have had to keep some sort of track of PIs
regardless of where they come. It could be logical to say that all PIs
before the DOCTYPE were ignored, but then we could find that the WG used
such PIs for something in the future. It's probably also necessary to
assume that order matters for PIs (i.e. they may be used to switch
behaviour on or off).  [That's the problem of trying to support something
like PIs, whose function is (deliberately) left undefined :-)].

	P.

>All the best,
>

>David
>
>--