SAX: Attributes and Entity Resolution

Paul Prescod papresco at technologist.com
Mon Jan 5 11:07:39 GMT 1998

David Megginson wrote:
> It is certainly tempting to introduce a new
> interface for attribute resolution, and that in itself would not bloat
> SAX too much, but if we did that, why not add other interfaces?

I think that we can define a general "map" interface that will translate
easily into any language and is more general than attributes. As SAX
supersets are created it can return notations by name, entities by name,
element types by name and so forth. My concerns with the attributeEvent
interface are:

 * an implication that attributes are ordered
 * performance (I often ignore more attributes than I use -- I don't
want one interface-lookup-based method call per attribute)
 * either
	* the non-intuitive convention of having attributes FIRST or
	* the inconvenience of having them come later

When I process a start-tag, I want all of the attributes to be queriable
and I would much rather not be forced to gather them up myself.

 Paul Prescod
--
http://itrc.uwaterloo.ca/~papresco

Art is always at peril in universities, where there are so many people,
young and old, who love art less than argument, and dote upon a text
that provides the nutritious pemmican on which scholars love to chew.
				-- Robertson Davies in "The Cunning Man"

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)