Listadmin: Errors and other happenings

Rzepa, Henry h.rzepa at ic.ac.uk
Mon Jan 5 13:15:31 GMT 1998

Dear all,

Just a note to let you all know I am doing some "spring cleaning"
of the list. Other than undesirable postings (more of which later),
the holiday period has brought with it a larger than normal deluge
of errors resulting from the listserver being unable to deliver messages.
Over this weekend, I received some  1300 such errors.  These fall into
several types

a) people subscribing as subscribe xml-dev email at host,
where email at host is erroneous, and cannot be delivered to. I
try to spot these (about 2-3 a week occur) and to unsubscribe
them. So if you have a colleague who thinks they have subscribed
but are not getting postings, this is probably what happened. I
do not have the time to reconcile these errors with the original subscription
attempt, and to inform the sender at their other address of the error

b) Mail boxes that do not work because of internal errors, or most
often because the local hard disk is full, ie
procmail: Quota exceeded while writing "/var/spool/mail/cs"
550 <cs at zip.com.au>... Can't create output: Error 0
  These tend to go away with time.

c) Message that cannot be delivered because some vital relay is down,
ie The address to which the message has not yet been delivered is:
 sardet at ensma.fr
No action is required on your part. Delivery attempts will continue for
some time, and this message will be repeated at intervals if the message
remains undelivered

These too go away in time.

d) Messages that cannot be delivered because some local firewall
does not have permissions set to do so, ie
  chris at moonvine.org:
    SMTP error from remote mailer after RCPT TO:
    <chris at moonvine.org>:
    host mail.eden.com [199.171.21.14]:
    550 <chris at moonvine.org>... we do not relay

Those that look permanent, ie a) and d) I tend to unsubscribe
without warning to the originators.

Finally, the  Hypermail archive should be back in action now, so
keyword searches etc can resume.

May you all have a highly productive  1998!!

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)