SAX: Document Start and End (question 1 of 10)

Don Park donpark at quake.net
Tue Jan 6 01:13:27 GMT 1998

Whether the PI is before the doc or not, a typical SAX user would not know
nor care about the answer.  I would very much like to see a pair of methods
that are clearly known to be the first and the last callback methods for
initialization and cleanup purpose.  Also, I would like to see an opaque
handle to the document source passed to the startDocument method.

i.e.

  public void startDocument (Object source); // source can be URL, File,
InputStream, etc.

Many XML applications will be filter types and would not know what the
document source is.  One problem is that opaque Object trick does not
translate to other languages too well.

Don Park

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)