anti-goals

David Megginson ak117 at freenet.carleton.ca
Tue Jan 6 19:12:49 GMT 1998

Jonathan Robie writes:

 > I would be interested in knowing what kinds of applications you envision
 > for SAX. To me, it seems like it might be useful for applications that
 > extract data from XML files, e.g. for electronic commerce. What other kinds
 > of applications do you have in mind?

Here are some additional examples:

- most transformations
- producing a rendered version of an XML document (electronic or
  paper)
- context-sensitive searching

Your example, extracting data, itself covers a wide range of
applications:

- database import/export
- online transactions
- configuration information
- meta-data exchange
- general client/server protocols

Essentially, SAX should cover most general requirements (most
transformations occur as part of a processing chain, and do not need
saved comments, internal entity references, etc.).  Those applications
that do need access to lexical information -- mainly authoring tools
and repositories -- will, of course, need to use a different or
extended API.

All the best,

David

David Megginson                 ak117 at freenet.carleton.ca