SAX: Missing ESIS Information

David Megginson ak117 at freenet.carleton.ca
Thu Jan 8 15:07:45 GMT 1998

Peter Murray-Rust writes:

 > Suggest that you rephrase it as questions.  e.g. Q11 "Should SAX be
 > able to recreate an ESIS stream?" I'd want good evidence why. [One
 > reason could be that in that way one can easily compare the output
 > of parsers, and also compare it with nsgmls and other ESIS-aware
 > tools.]

You would find such a comparison surprisingly difficult, because the
order of attributes may vary and because different parsers will
divide character data into chunks differently.  For example, if you
have

<listing>

<![CDATA[
 <sample>text</sample>
]]>

</listing>

Ælfred will deliver one chunk of character data:

  "\n\n\n <sample>text</sample>\n\n\n"

while another parser might deliver three:

  "\n\n"
  "\n <sample>text</sample>\n"
  "\n\n"

The same applies to expanded entities, character references, etc.

All the best,

David

David Megginson                 ak117 at freenet.carleton.ca
Microstar Software Ltd.         dmeggins at microstar.com