SAX/Java: Exceptions -- Lets take it out

Don Park donpark at quake.net
Sat Jan 10 03:29:19 GMT 1998

Lets remove the exceptions from the picture.  Exceptions are nice but most
folks don't know what to do with them other than dump it to stderr or throw
up a dialog.  Since there is no 'retry' in Java, Exceptions are of minimal
use other than being a barking dog before an earthquake.  It is also causing
us a headache with no pleasant solution in sight and holding up the
schedule.

I propose that:

1. SAX application not be allowed to 'throw' exceptions.  Instread,
exceptions must be caught and handled within each method call (i.e.
startElement).  Exception can be ignored if they are non-fatal or reported
to the parser.

2. Parser can rethrow the reported exception once the application returns.

Don