XML Link Questions (again)

Tim Bray tbray at textuality.com
Sat Jan 10 18:49:33 GMT 1998

At 02:52 PM 10/01/98 +0000, Neil Bradley wrote:
>In both the XML Language and XML Link schemes, a target element can be
>identified by its ID value. Is it possible using XML Link to target an
>element in a document that does not have a DTD, and if so, how is the
>target attribute identified, by a fixed attribute name of 'Id'?

There's no way to know something is an ID element without access to
a DTD or 'inside knowledge' about that particular document type.
This is a problem.

>Does STRING(1,'testing',0) only select the first character of
>'testing', or the whole word. If the first character, can DITTO() be
>used to specify a range from 't' to 'g', and is DITTO() assumed to
>start from the enclosing element or from the first character of
>testing, in which case can DITTO() actually find it?

It indicates the *point* in the document where the 'T' starts; it
does not select any characters.

>What impact does case-sensitivity have on the default and replacement
>attribute names and values. Is 'HREF' or 'href' the default resource
>locator name, and must 'XML-ATTRIBUTES' (or 'xml-attributes') contain
>case-sensitive values ('HREF TARGET TITLE REFTITLE' or 'href target
>title RefTitle').

XML is case-sensitive.  The most recent Link draft doesn't reflect this
fact.  It is highly probable that we'll end up with lower-case throughout.
 -Tim

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)