Announcement: SAX 1998-01-12 Draft

Michael Kay M.H.Kay at eng.icl.co.uk
Mon Jan 12 17:21:46 GMT 1998

David Meggison wrote:

>I am happy to announce the first draft of SAX, the Simple API for XML,
>together with a Java reference implementation and drivers for the
>major Java-based XML parsers.

Looks good.

My first attempts to get the demo app to run failed saying:

SAX parser class com.microstar.sax.AElfredDrivercannot be loaded.

I fixed the problem by putting the relevant directory on DevClassPath
as well as ClassPath.
This is using the IE4 Java VM under Win95. I extracted four downloads
(Alfred beta 0.5, SAX itself, the SAX drivers, and the demo app) into the
same directory c:\aelfred5 and put that on the ClassPath and
DevClassPath using regedit.

My next problem was in the filename handling.
This is what happens:

C:\aelfred5>jview SAXdemo com.microstar.sax.AElfredDriver mydoc.xml
Start document
Resolving external entity: file://localhostC:\aelfred5/mydoc.xml
ERROR: java.io.FileNotFoundException: ftp://localhostC/mydoc.xml

I fixed this by changing "localhost" to "localhost/" in the makeAbsoluteURL
method, but I don't expect this fix is portable.

I don't expect much difficulty converting my two AElfred apps. I had used
the "isSpecified()" functionality to distinguish between specified and
defaulted attributes, but I can live without it if I have to.

Regards, and congratulations on more excellent software,

Mike Kay

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)