VRML and XML

Michael Rose rose at balthazar.com
Fri Jan 16 09:37:09 GMT 1998

Len Bullard writes:

>Building a production-worthy useful language
>is not a theoretical exercise however.  For an XML version of
>VRML to be useful, there must be some requirements for it which
>ISO VRML (VRML 97) does not meet.

'Different views of the same information' is applicable here. We're
writing some 'avatar generation' software where users can make their own
avatars. In the first instance the avatars will be 2D, with the later
possibility of 3D and VRML avatars. The obvious choice is to have an XML
based avatar description with can then be viewed via either 2D or VRML
rendering depending on which XSL is used.

Is anyone doing anything similar?

Cheers,
Michael

Michael Rose                         email: rose at balthazar.com
Balthazar A/S                        phone: (+45) 33 26 05 15
Rahbeks Alle 9D                      fax:   (+45) 33 26 05 01
DK-1749 Copenhagen   DENMARK         web:   http://www.balthazar.com

'and what is the use of a computer' thought Alice 'without pictures or
conversation'
                                with apologies to Lewis Carroll