Partial XML Processors (was Re: JavaScript parser update and Questions)

Jeremie Miller jeremie at netins.net
Sat Jan 17 07:40:07 GMT 1998

> [paragraphs removed]

>So you have the following choice:
> - encode the *whole* spec (and nothing but the spec - i.e. no tricky
>non-compliant extensions) and give yourself the label "conforming XML
tool".
> - encode the bits you feel are cost effective and label it "processes most
>XML documents, but gives 'Sorry' messages for some".

More questions/issues then:

A well-formed XML document is not required to have a DTD, internal or
external, correct?  Is a well-formed parser not an XML parser that does not
have access to or does not process a DTD, internal or external?  I guess I
haven't found a clear definition of what a well-formed parser is yet.

If this is true, then a well-formed parser doesn't even have to acknowledge
that entities exist except for the built in ones, and absolutely all
whitespace is preserved, right?

Thanks,

Jeremie Miller
jer at jeremie.com