Partial XML Processors (was Re: JavaScript parser update and Questions)

Tim Bray tbray at textuality.com
Sat Jan 17 16:03:46 GMT 1998

At 09:43 AM 17/01/98 -0600, Jeremie Miller wrote:
>> [great discussion about well-formed parser and ignoring DTD stuff

 [uh, the discussion would be a bit better if some participants would
  read the XML PR; for example, there's no more RMD, and it is made
  very clear what a non-validating parser is required to do]

>What this stems from is the fact that my JavaScript XML parser has no
>_fundamental_ way of accessing URL's or files, and therefore no way of
>obtaining _anything_ external to the XML string it was given.

This is fine.  Under no circumstances is a non-validating parser ever
required to fetch external objects.

*BUT*, you have to parse way through the internal subset, and you
have to do internal entities and default attributes declared therein. -Tim

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)