Conformance in XML processors

Matthew Gertner matthewg at poet.de
Mon Jan 19 21:00:17 GMT 1998

David Megginson wrote:

>Actually, given the instability of links on the WWW, you will likely
>regret it 20 days down the road if you do not collect references in
>one place (preferably a separate physical file), but there are ways to
>do so using either approach.  Personally, I am comfortable with NDATA
>entities and notations, but I get the impression that people are
>(informally) deprecating them.

Perhaps I exaggerated somewhat. ;-) In any case, I think your conclusion is
right: there is some merit to keeping references in one place, particularly
for documents of a non-transient nature, but people simply don't do it in
most cases. It would be trivial to create tags for "reference aliases" if
this is desired, so why do we need another syntax? Anyway, I don't see this
changing, so I guess we will have to live with two ways of doing the same
thing.

Matthew

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)