Conformance in XML processors

Paul Prescod papresco at technologist.com
Wed Jan 21 13:44:06 GMT 1998

Peter Murray-Rust wrote:
> I am happier with yours :-) [You seem to have newlines in some tags and not
> others, is this intended?]

Actually, that was just a typo. The idea should be one "concept" per
line. Even attributes might go on separate lines. But you've reminded me
that my normalization adds whitespace, which in XML is equivalent to
adding content. Perhaps tags *would* have to be broken across lines.

> The only reason - and it's probably not "good" - is that the effort to
> create or install a solution is too great for the problem at hand. And it
> costs money and time.

That makes sense. Sometimes XML is too expensive altogether. I think
that we are coming to agree that if you invent something that looks like
XML, but is simpler, you should just not call it XML. Call it XML-like.

> Yes - I like this. Is your use of 'xmlnorm' fictitious, or is such a beast
> emerging from the current tools.

I wasn't thinking about any particular software when I wrote it, but it
was so easy to develop that I guessed it existed somewhere. Check the
message from Alex Milowski in comp.text.sgml that describes how he
converts SGML to XML. Also Jade can easily be tricked into converting
arbitrary SGML (and thus XML) into a standardized XML format. I'll bet
it would only be a few hours work to get Jumbo to do the same.

 Paul Prescod
--
"You have the wrong number."
"Eh? Isn't that the Odeon?"