SAX Requests

David Megginson ak117 at freenet.carleton.ca
Thu Jan 22 13:39:32 GMT 1998

Peter Murray-Rust writes:

 > 	- can SAX be used to work with 'sysin' input? At present (rightly)
 > everything is in terms of java.net.URL or the equivalent SysIDs. However it
 > is possible that we may come across chunks of 'raw' XML being emitted by
 > tools which don't have a URL address, like (UNIX-like):
 > 		ls | ls2xml | mysaxapp
 > (where ls2xml is a fictitious tool that takes the output of ls and emits WF
 > XML and  mysaxapp is an XML application that takes XML and (say) draws a
 > GUI representation of it.

You could do it now in Java by setting up a custom URI protocol, but
that's messy.  This is near the top of my TODO list for the next
couple of weeks, when I have time to return to SAX.

 > 	- is it still possible to process non-SAX events from Lark, AElfred, etc.
 > Does one hack LarkDriver, etc? [This may be trivially obvious when I get
 > that far...]

I'd be interested in suggestions for this one -- it would have to be
enabled on a driver-by-driver basis, and wouldn't be part of the SAX
spec.

On the same note, I should add constructors for the drivers that take
an existing instance of an AElfred, MSXML, Lark, or NXP parser.

All the best,

David

David Megginson                 ak117 at freenet.carleton.ca
Microstar Software Ltd.         dmeggins at microstar.com