Content roles in XML

Tim Bray tbray at textuality.com
Sat Jan 24 00:06:20 GMT 1998

At 02:40 PM 23/01/98 -0800, Don Park wrote:

(about the fact that you're not allowed duplicate enumerate attribute
values on the same element).

>This new bit of information (I am a newcomer to SGML) is very disturbing.

No kidding; it's been a major heartburn for SGML users for a decade.

>Are there any chance of XML standard being changed to allow it?
>Is this perhaps a valid reason to go for something like XML-Data rather than
>relying on DTD?

Not only XML but SGML *has been changed* to allow this now.  The
XML spec retains a warning saying that doing this can cause an
interoperability problem, because XML tools will have no trouble with
this, but if you use a pre-1998 version of any of the SGML tools,
such as OmniMark, or SP, or Adept, they will quite rightly complain.

For new applications just getting started, go ahead and do it;
it's legal. -Tim

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)