Netscape Navigator 5.0

len bullard cbullard at hiwaay.net
Sat Jan 24 00:29:00 GMT 1998

David Megginson wrote:

> Althought it's always best to wait for the fine print, the
> announcement that Netscape will release the source code for 5.0 and
> will allow redistribution of modified versions is very interesting for
> XML developers.
>
> All the best,
>
> David

Not to be a killjoy:  I hope it is easier to
dig through than the Mosaic code was. :-)
In the long run, this may be the way that a
standard client framework for the Internet emerges
now that all the players understand exactly
how hard that is given the ever mutating
set of language types and protocols it has to support.

So one more wild thought:  it will soon
be very necessary to revisit all of the
concepts of HyTime and ask ourselves if
it is possible to build within XML, a true
language-independent framework for
hypermedia systems.  I think we are
about ready for a standard color hyper-TV.

len bullard

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)