SDATA or UNICODE

Arjan Loeffen Arjan.Loeffen at let.ruu.nl
Tue Jan 27 12:20:58 GMT 1998

Dear reader,

As far as I can see there is no character (Dutch) FLORIN SIGN or EURO
SIGN in unicode (yet). Suppose I need to specify that character; in the
old SGML days I simply referenced system data SDATA for euro or florin;
the receiving system should be able to cope with that, and it was true
data supplied by the system, i.e. could be interpreted as a character
(sequence). It seems incorrect to replace it by a data entity or special
element, as in both cases the result would not be interpreted as a
character, but of a data object/element.

In other words, how do I specify my small salary in euro's?

Arjan

--

Arjan Loeffen
Computer & Arts, Faculty of Arts, Utrecht University

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)