Extending DTDs for Backward Compatibility

Michael Kay M.H.Kay at eng.icl.co.uk
Fri Jan 30 14:34:53 GMT 1998

-----Original Message-----
From: Joe Lapp <jlapp at webmethods.com>
To: xml-dev at ic.ac.uk <xml-dev at ic.ac.uk>
Date: 29 January 1998 22:07
Subject: Extending DTDs for Backward Compatibility

>I need to create DTDs that are extensible...

I've got the same problem: I essentially want a "standard" DTD
for an application domain that tolerates private extensions added
by individual implementors.

I had thought of doing it with something like
 <PRIVATE TAG="mytag">XXX</PRIVATE>; this
has the advantage it flags it up as a private extension, but
it's certainly ugly in other ways. Fortunately I'm not using
attributes extensively, it's only private elements I'm really
concerned with.

Mike Kay

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)