XML-Data Questions

Don Park donpark at quake.net
Sat Jan 31 00:17:10 GMT 1998

I have some questions about the XML-Data spec which affects implementation:

1. How are the schemas referenced from XML documents?

For DTDs, declaration or reference is within the <!DOCTYPE> tag.  Are we
supposed to use the tag also for XML-Data schemas?  Examples in the spec
uses lines had nothing except some namespace tags.  Will there be a MIME
type (text/x-xml-data?) and file extension (foo.xdl?) for XML-Data schema?

2. How does one validate XML documents which use XML-Data schema rather than
DTD?

Am I supposed to validate the XML-Data file first and then validate the
document?  What about the DTD file for the XML-Data file?

3. Current XML-Data does not allow or rather make it easy for enumerated
attribute values to contain spaces becuase space is used as delimeters.

Why not use the following structure to define enumerated attribute values?

<elementType id="Book">
  <attribute name="ageGrp" type="ENUMERATION">
    <value>children</value>
    <value>adult</value>
    <default>adult</default>
  </attribute>
</elementType>

I would appreciate insights and comments from those more familiar with
XML-Data than I am.

Regards,

Don Park
http://www.quake.net/~donpark/index.html