extensibility in XSchema?

Peter Murray-Rust peter at ursus.demon.co.uk
Wed Jul 1 09:36:24 BST 1998

At 19:17 30/06/98 +0200, Ron Bourret wrote:
[...]
>By the way, I'm currently writing an XSchema-to-DTD processor built on top
of
>SAX (first version available tomorrow if I figure out namespaces), but my
next
>project will be an XSchema conformance checker also built on SAX.
Assuming this
>code also generates SAX events, it can be easily be reused by others, so
>conformance becomes even less of a problem.

This is wonderful Ron.

As for namespaces - I think it's worth *experimenting* and publishing our
results. Remember that (a) the final version is not there (b) namespaces
are not required to *do* anything other than uniquify names. I would advise
against attaching any semantics to any part of the current public namespace
draft. I think following the current public draft minimally and faithfully
will be valuable.

In JUMBO I have started to apply a minimalist approach the namespaces which:
	- can generate a UniqueName by the concatenation of the prefix and the
local name
	- checks for uniqueness as required by the draft
	- can retrieve the Namespace determined by a prefix
and that's all.

	Clearly you have to use the UniqueName in the interpretation of the Schema
just as a validating parser might have to expand the name and check it
against a namespace-aware DTD (if/when such a thing exists).

	P.

>-- Ron Bourret
>
>xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers. To post, mailto:xml-dev at ic.ac.uk
>Archived as: http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/