'Optional' vs 'Implied' in XSchema

Ron Bourret rbourret at dvs1.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de
Wed Jul 1 10:42:33 BST 1998

> >I know that 'Implied' is what is used within DTDs, but personally I find
> >'Optional' to be much more "to the point", I find 'Implied' quite
> >"mysterious".
>
> Implied is very mysterious.  It's been an open question throughout how closely
> to stick to the spec's terminology, including its mysterious parts.  If people
> feel strongly about this, we should ponder change.  I think at this point the
> weight is more toward keeping the mysteries of the past alive, while
> explaining them better, but I could be persuaded to change this.

This is a good point.  On the naming ballot, the second list of possible names
was meant to be non-mysterious names and for some reason I missed Implied.  I
will change it there.

Simon -- does this go away anyway with the changes to the AttDef element
proposed by Chris Maden?  I wasn't completely sure how those were being
implemented.

-- Ron

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)