Passing #FIXED values through para. entity refrences

Amit Rekhi amitr at abinfosys.com
Wed Jul 1 15:39:29 BST 1998

Martin ,

>Unfortunately there is currently no standardized mechanism for passing
>parameters to default attribute values.

Is there no other way (except parameter passing), that can solve the problem
of encapsulating two attribute declarations (which are identical except for
their fixed default values) in one entity?

(The reason I thought there could be one was because if it makes sense to
encapsulate something which is 100% identical , then something which is 90%
same (except for the fixed default values) should also be a possible
candidate for encapsulation.)

A new proposal for
>the modularization of SGML DTDs through entity references may make this
>possible later, but not for the time being in XML.

Is any such proposal being worked on?If so when is it expected?

Is there any formal documentation of DTD modularization and compaction
techniques you would be knowing of?

Thanking You,

AMIT