XSchema Spec, Section 3, Draft 1 (Namespaces)

John Cowan cowan at locke.ccil.org
Thu Jul 2 23:37:13 BST 1998

Peter Murray-Rust scripsit:

> FWIW I will adopt a very simple strategy for JUMBO. I will not use ns to do
> other than to give me a unique string, thus:
>
> <?xml:namespace ns="xml-cml.org" prefix="CML" ?>

I think that it would be in the spirit of the namespace draft to
make sure that the ns value is an absolute URL before treating it
as a unique string.  If it is a relative URL, it should be understood
as relative to the document in which the namespace PI appears.
(I think this goes beyond the draft's requirements, but only in
an "obvious" way.)

> The ns value is unique within the galaxy. I then resolve it with a
> JUMBO-specific PI:
>
> <?JUMBO ns="xml-cml.org" java="jumbo.cml"?>
>
> This will *implicitly* link any CML element to a class:
>
> <CML:MOL> links to jumbo.cml.MOLNode

Just the thing, say I.

> 	- what is the XSchema for CML called (a) if there is a <!ELEMENT CML ...>
> (b) if there isn't?
> 	- what mechanism might there be for locating the XSchema file?

Proposal: if the root element of a document has an XSC:HREF element
(capitalization to be settled later), then its value is the XSchema to
which the document claims conformance.

John Cowan					cowan at ccil.org
		e'osai ko sarji la lojban.

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)